WORLD CONFERENCE ON YOUTH- COLOMBO, SRI LANKA, 2014
PARALLEL SESSION ON “REALIZING PEACE, RECONCILIATION AND ENDING VIOLENCE” ORGANIZED BY YOUNG MENS’ MUSLIM ASSOCIATIONS CONFERENCE (YMMA)
VENUE: BMICH, COLOMBO 7
Youth inspired by the ideology of democracy worldwide are called upon to accept the challenge in transforming their societies with proactive action in social, political, economic and cultural spheres of life, especially at a time the present world order is in transition due to major upheavals and uprisings against social system based deficiencies.
The countries that have not undergone such changes are also influenced by the developments that have taken place globally, with the realization that none could be indifferent and apathetic towards processes of peaceful or violent change. The world at present is also driven by innovative communication technology with each country becoming well aware of the landmark developments taking place in other countries. Hence, the demand for an internationally alert community of men and women for progressive human development.
The Special Parallel Session of the WORLD YOUTH CONFERENCE – 2014 dedicated to PEACE, RECONCILIATION, AND NON VIOLENCE organized by the YMMA- Sri Lanka led to the formulation of a set of dynamic youth resolutions committed to make the present world order more progressive through following frontiers:
THE SOCIAL FRONTIER:
- Encourage young and qualified teachers to go to rural areas and increase educational standards.
- To encourage each and every ethnic group to have principles of humanism uppermost in their minds.
- To encourage youth to join hands and express solidarity with each other through dynamic means of communication.
- To ensure that national schools are open to all ethnic groups so that all can gain maximum knowledge concerning each other and the strengths of their respective religions.
- To explore all avenues available for socially deprived people to maximize their capacities in national development.
THE POLITICAL FRONTIER
- To ensure that it is not a quantitative increase of political parties, but a growth in quality of what they represent which should be of utmost interest. To ensure that they would work for the benefit of the nation at large rather than for individual gain.
- To abolish the Executive Presidency and to ensure that power is not concentrated in the hands of a few people.
- To have referendums in order to assess public opinion on issues prior to passing of key constitutional amendments.
- A minimum standard of qualifications and experience in related fields to be stipulated for those aspiring for public office.
- To prevent the clergy and non-political public figures in participating in politics as this harms peace among religions leading to conflicts.
THE ECONOMIC FRONTIER
- For governments and non-governmental organizations, both local or foreign, to provide appropriate guidance and training to youth in creating employment opportunities
- To ensure that governments and other financial institutions impose financial regulations and checks and balances for stability and economic well-being of the people
- To ensure accountability of financial institutions for overall economic stability
- To introduce and to integrate technology in educational and economic sectors to be in harmony with the globally recognized digital economic systems
- To work towards attracting foreign investments to develop the country and create more economic opportunities for youth
THE CULTURAL FRONTIER
- To prevent the formation of segregated committees, clubs and societies on ethnic, religious, and caste lines
- To Identify similar cultural practices and build a common culture for the betterment of all communities
- To make changes in the primary educational system by encouraging scholars to share diverse cultural practices and to create a culture of peaceful co-existence.
- To Organize annual cultural events and cultural movements across the world which will result in uniting people from all countries of the world and through such events to enable people to use varied forms of media including social media facilitated by the Internet.
- Forming a global institute/organization to supervise cultural issues around the world and to protect and sustain peace among all people; leading to a non-violent global community.