The government approved prohibition of cattle slaughter in order to increase local dairy industry. The decision was announced at the weekly cabinet meeting at the Information Department today.
Accordingly, approval of the cabonet was granted on September 28 and permitted to amend the laws and regulations applicable to it and to amend laws passed by the local government institutions in relation to cattle slaughter.
The Legal Draftsman has drafted bills to amend the following acts and ordinances.
• Authority 272 of the Cattle Slaughter Ordinance No. 9 of 1893
• Act No. 29 of 1958 Concerning Animals
• Municipal Councils Ordinance – Section 252
• Section 255 of the Municipal Councils Ordinance
• Ordinance No. 15 of the Urban Council Act of 1987
The Attorney General has certified that the said Bills do not clash with the provisions of the Constitution.
Accordingly, the Cabinet Ministers have granted approval to the consolidated resolution tabled by the Prime Minister. The Ministers of Public Services, Provincial Councils and Local Government, and Agriculture approved the publication of these Bills in the government gazette as notifications and, thereby, their table in Parliament.